The Sony World Photography Awards is one of the major international photography competitions across the globe that provides opportunity for all level of photographer from amateurs, students to professionals to express their talents and skills in capturing world-class photos. The Sony World Photography Awards’ goals are to find new talents from the immerging new and professional photographers, at the same time to cultivate the photography culture among the world community. The annual award ceremony will be held in London that gathers international photographer all around the world to the prestigious event to celebrate the award winners and grand them worldwide recognition.
The following competitions are divided into several categories, which are:
• Professional Competition – for serious photographers who are in the process of building their professional reputation or have already disrepute in their field. In the Professional competition you can submit a minimum of three and a maximum of 10 images per category.
• Open Competition – for amateurs. In the Open competition, three photos can be submitted for free. These images may be submitted into any of the categories. You may submit more images by upgrading your membership – Advanced Members can submit up to eight images and Premium members can submit up to 20 images.
• Student Focus – for higher education photography students aged 18-28. To submit the Student Focus competition, students must submit their images to their tutor who will submit students’ images on their behalf.
• Youth Award – for anyone aged 19 and under. In the Youth Award, you can submit up to 3 images for free. These images may be submitted across any of the categories.
• National Award – uncover and honor the best single image from a participating country by an amateur photographer. This special category offers an amazing opportunity for promising photographers to have their work seen globally and be recognized alongside the world’s leading photographers.
The Sony World Photography Awards are opened to all international participants.
What makes the competition so prestigious? The competition not only give awards to the respective winners and display their artwork at the exhibition; they also offer exposure to the marketing campaign and international media coverage, and publication inside the annual Sony World Photography Awards book. Besides, the author of the photograph will retain full ownership of he copyright in each Entry. The winner of the 2014 L’Iris d’Or Photographer of the Year will be awarded with $25,000 while the Open Photographer of the Year will receive $5,000. All category winners will obtain the newest digital imaging kit from Sony and the Student Focus winner will receive a range of new, cutting edge Sony equipment for their university.